This soup is surprisingly tasty, healthy, vegetarian, GF and Eric Approved. If you precook the mung bean ahead of time, or add canned beans, or lentils then cooking time is 30 minutes.
Coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
Diced Onion - 1 medium onion
Minced Garlic - 1 - 3 cloves
Cooked Mung Bean - 1 cup
Quinoa - 1/2 cup
Chopped Kale - 2 cups
salt and pepper to taste
ground turmeric - 1 tsp
ground cumin - 1 tsp
Toasted coriander seed, ground - 1 Tbp
1) precook the mung beans, it takes quite a few hours on low heat with lots of water. You can cook them ahead of time and save them in the refrigerator.
2) In a stock pot, add coconut oil or another oil, onion, garlic and cook on medium high heat until the onion softens.
3) Add turmeric and cumin to the mixture from step 2.
4) Stir well for about 1 minute.
5) Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
6) Add 1/2 cup of quinoa, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
7) Add Kale, the rest of the spices (salt, pepper, ground roasted coriander seeds), and cooked mung beans.
8) Return to gentle boil and check for taste.
9) Serve hot/warm